Thursday 13 March 2014

44. Millionaire's Shortbread Recipe

Hello everyone! I do realise this is my fourth post this week but I think writing my dissertation has given me some sort of writing bug. I realised that I had not baked since November when I made a chocolate finger cake (check out my post Shameless Shepherd Selfies for photos and details of the recipe) so today I decided to make Millionaire's Shortbread for the first time. I bought a loose bottomed 20 cm square cake tin from Home Sense so was excited to try it. It was very easy to clean and did not leak! I did a Random Spring Haul video over on my YouTube channel which you can check out here: 
http://www.youtube.com/user/mancuniansheep
Anyway, here is the recipe and some photos of the Millionaire's Shortbread that I made. I'm taking some to uni tomorrow for my tutorial group because at the start of the year, our tutor went round the group and asked us what our hobbies are and I said baking and he said he wanted to try some of my baking. I hope they like it!

Ingredients:


For the shortbread:

115 g butter
175 g plain flour
55 g caster sugar

For the topping:

175 g butter
115 g caster sugar
3 tbsp golden syrup
400 g canned condensed milk
150 g plain chocolate

Method:


Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20 cm square cake tin.

Combine the butter (115 g), flour and caster sugar (55 g) by stirring with a wooden spoon and using your hands until the ingredients all bind together.
Press into the tin using the back of a spoon to level out the shortbread mixture. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and remove to cool.
Whilst the shortbread is baking, place the butter (175 g), caster sugar (115 g), golden syrup and condensed milk into a saucepan and stir on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Raise the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and stir occasionally for 10 minutes until the mixture is golden and very thick.
Leave the caramel to cool for 5 minutes and then pour onto the shortbread. 
Place in the fridge until the caramel has set.
Melt the chocolate using a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water. Leave the chocolate to cool for five minutes and then pour onto the caramel.
Return to the fridge so the chocolate can set.
Serve.
You can store the millionaires shortbread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days to enjoy to your heart's content :)
Here are some that I made earlier! (I should be on Blue Peter).






If you give this recipe a go then do comment below! Hope you found this useful, I will be doing baking posts more often as I've really missed it with such a busy academic year. Until next time, take care.
Love,
Mancunian Sheep x

No comments:

Post a Comment