Sunday 26 April 2015

95. What to Bake for a Charity Bake Sale

Hello everyone, I hope you're all well. For the past few weeks I have been working on my final ever piece of coursework day and night but on Wednesday afternoon, I swapped my laptop for my mixing bowl because this week was Parkinson's Awareness Week (if you haven't already checked out my post about this year's campaign then click here) so I decided to raise some money for Parkinson's UK by putting on a bake sale at university. My lovely friend Alex helped to sell the cakes and set up the stand on the day. Also, Alex and her Mum baked some mini blueberry muffins and a gorgeous Victoria sponge. We managed to raise £75! :D Although most of you won't have been able to come to the bake sale, you can still donate £3 to Parkinson's UK by texting FRIENDLY to 70300. I thought I would do a post to share some photos of what I baked and why. Also, if you're planning on running a bake sale then this post may provide you with some inspiration. Enjoy!

The first thing I baked on Wednesday were The Londoner's infamous Sl***y Brownies because who could resist the temptation of an Oreo and Cookie Dough Brownie. If you're going to have brownies at your bake sale, why have any old brownie when you can have these? I made these for the first time one weekend last June and ate most of the batch whilst watching the French Open and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows parts 1 and 2. These are dangerously easy to make which is why I avoid having the ingredients in the house for them to keep the number of chins I have at a minimum! Check out Rosie's recipe here. Also, I bought a new camera this week so I hope the photo quality is okay!






Now although a lot of people love chocolate, there are some who aren't too keen on it and prefer something slightly healthier and lighter (depending on whether you think cake can ever be healthy) but with the next three bakes, you get at least some of your 5 a day in (probably about 0.25 but hey, it's better than nothing). 


First up are my raspberry ripple cupcakes which some of you may remember me baking for my last birthday. I came up with this recipe and I have to say, these are my favourite ever cakes even though I may say so myself. The raspberries just balance out the sweetness so well and the soft cheese icing is much lighter than a traditional buttercream. You can find my  raspberry ripple cupcake recipe here.



I love how the cake mixture has a slightly pink tint to it.


Almost done!


Et voila!

The other "healthier than Sl***y brownies" bake was lemon drizzle and I had to include it because it is just such a classic that is simple to make too. You can find this recipe and another bonus one here!



If you're not a fan of the tart flavour of both raspberries and lemons then blueberries are a great alternative whilst still keeping it healthy! Alex baked these adorable mini blueberry muffins :D I love the pops of gorgeous violet dotted throughout the cakes.



We all thought this one looked like a shark! *cue Jaws theme tune*

Parkinson's UK very kindly sent me some adorable cake flags that I had to simply put to good use so I also baked some vanilla buttercream cupcakes. These are great for any bake sale because you can colour the buttercream the same colour as the charity you are supporting and decorate the cupcakes however else you wish. Also, these vanilla cupcakes are a great option for people who don't like strong flavours such as chocolate, lemon or raspberrry.


One man who bought a cake said not many United fans would be buying these,
 I see where he's coming from because the icing is a Manchester City blue!


 Up Your Friendly!

Similar to the vanilla cupcakes, a Victoria Sponge is also a classic, very easy to bake and you really can't go wrong with it. Here's the yummy one that Alex's Mum baked! (Sorry the photo is so blurred)



Finally, to add some crunch to your bake sale and to make sure those biscuit lovers and the Cookie Monster are catered for, I'd recommend baking Tanya Burr's Milk and White Chocolate cookies. Packed full of Dairy Milk and Milkybar, these are the biggest and best cookies that you and your customers will ever taste. You can watch Tanya's recipe video here.





I hope this post hasn't left you feeling too hungry and has inspired you to run a bake sale or just bake for your friends and family! 
Until next time, take care.
Love,
Mancunian Sheep x

No comments:

Post a Comment