Thursday 10 April 2014

50. Cheese and Onion Quiche Recipe

Hello everyone, I hope you're all okay! As I am off university for the Easter break for two weeks (it should have been three weeks but in the final week I have my field course for six days, sad times), I thought I would do some baking. Now my inner fat girl and I love baking sweet treats but I want to start doing some more savoury baking so decided on quiche. This will be a very visual recipe so I hope it is of use and if you try it out or have any questions then comment below!

Serves: 6

Ingredients and special equipment:
  • 280 g plain white flour
  • 165 g cold salted butter, cubed
  • 8 tbsp cold water
  • 3 large onions, finely chopped
  • 300 ml double cream
  • 150 g mature cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 medium free range eggs
  • Salt and black pepper to season
  • 20 cm loose bottomed flan tin
Method:
  1. Rub the flour and 140g of the butter until it is well combined and crumbly.


  2.  Add 8 tbsp of cold water to bind the ingredients together and roll into a ball of dough.


3.  Roll the dough into a circle 5 cm larger in diameter than your pastry tin. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.


4. Whilst the pastry is in the fridge, preheat your oven to 180°C. Cook the onions in the remaining 25 g of butter by melting it and then on a very low heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden and soft. It should take about 25-30 minutes.



5. Remove the pastry from the fridge, lightly prick with a fork. Place a circle of baking paper  to cover the centre of the tin. Place some baking beans or uncooked lentils/rice and blind bake for 20 minutes. Carefully remove the paper and rice and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden brown.


6. In a large bowl, beat the eggs and gradually add the double cream. Mix in the cooked onions and half of the cheese.



7. Pour the mixture into the pastry case. Season and top with the remaining grated cheese. Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.

8. Serve, with salad or whatever takes your fancy!
I hope you've all enjoyed this post. Let me know if you'd like me to do more recipes. Until next time, take care.
Love,
Mancunian Sheep x

No comments:

Post a Comment