Thursday 17 April 2014

52. Apple Woes

Hello everyone, slightly different post but I hope you enjoy Story Time with Mancunian Sheep regardless.
Regular readers are probably aware of my fruit addiction but the past few months of my life have been rather traumatic. I have had an apple a day for as long as I can remember (even before I had heard of the famous expression) but since approximately September 2013, I've unfortunately found that apples no longer taste of anything. I'm not exaggerating. I might as well be crunching into an apple shaped ice structure or a raw potato (perhaps the latter as it would be less painful for my gums).
The usual apple variety I have is good old Gala but when they started tasting of nothing I thought I might try the more fragrant Braeburn and Pink Lady varieties. Nope, nothing changed. Then I thought perhaps I should switch retailer as we do our big food shop from Asda so I tried the good old Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons stores near university but again nothing changed. I didn't know what else to do because we have two apple trees in our back garden but I'm sure one of them has cooking apples growing on it and the other has Crown Gall's disease which I identified after learning about Agrobacterium tumefaciens in my first year microbiology module. All winter I've been eating plums and dried fruit instead like apricots, dates and raisins to make up my five a day but nothing could replace the crunchy satisfaction of biting into an apple. 
O Malus, Malus, wherefore art thou Malus? Unlike Romeo and Juliet, this story does have a happy ending. After an incredibly tough 7 months, I have just eaten a Golden Delicious apple that tasted like an apple should and I really hope my ordeal is over. I'm pretty sure I've not finally gone mad because my Mum's been complaining about their bland taste too. 
Let me know about your #applewoes below or if you've dodged bland apple syndrome then let me know which apple variety you enjoy and where you purchase them from. Until next time, take care.

Love,
Mancunian Sheep x

No comments:

Post a Comment